[Back to Doug] [Address] [Academics] [Honors] [Publications] [Presentations] [Public Service]

Biochemistry 8: 3214-8 (1969)[69285371]

Properties of formaldehyde-treated nucleohistone.

D. Brutlag, C. Schlehuber & J. Bonner

When native nucleohistone is treated with formaldehyde, the resulting soluble complex does not dissociate in solutions of high ionic strength and may be banded in a CsCI gradient. The buoyant density of the complex, 1.411 g/cc, is that calculated from the ratio of deoxyribonucleic acid to histone in nucleohistone. Formaldehyde treatment of nucleohistone cross-links histone molecules to deoxyribonucleic acid. Thus the histone of the formaldehyde-treated complex is no longer soluble in acid. Treatment with pronase removes 96% of the protein from deoxyribonucleic acid, leaving 4% firmly bound, an amount which is in approximate stoichiometric proportion to the formaldehyde cross-links between deoxyribonucleic acid and protein.

Full Text: To get Acrobat:

[Back to Doug] [Address] [Academics] [Honors] [Publications] [Presentations] [Public Service]